Hi everyone Matt here….
The month of November is well and truly underway. This November i decided to tackle “Mo-vember” to help raise funds for Men’s mental health. It’s been a challenging few years for all of us, you cannot underestimate the affect that COVID lock downs had on our mental health. For me as an Osteopath I found myself talking to my patients more and more about their own mental health challenges.
This isn’t new for me as an Osteopath but what was really noticeable was the increase in the number of conversations I had in this space. You can notice the stress in a patients body, whether that be an increase in muscle tension, headaches or digestive issues. Our bodies really do reflect the environment that we are in and lets be honest the environment we were in, in Melbourne SUCKED!
So why am i doing Movember? Well first and foremost i care about health and Men’s health in particular is often neglected in Australia. Here are some random facts to hopefully get you thinking, but also engaging in your own health. Please be aware there in reference to suicide in the following stats.
- 4 out of 5 Suicides are men
- 2 out of 3 Men aged over 18 are overweight or Obese
- 1 out of 5 males are diagnosed with prostate cancer in their life
- Testicular cancer is the number 1 cancer affecting young males
So if you’re struggling or you just interested in your own heath here are some of the basics that we should be aware of
- Spend time with people who make you feel good.
- Talk more. Not necessarily easy but as Osteopaths we are incredibly comfortable to have these conversations
- Know the numbers. Get to your GP for a health check, being across your blood work is vital for good health
- Know thy nuts! Check them at least once per month. there are plenty of resources if you’re not sure.
- Move, more. Exercise, walk, run, swim, bike….whatever it is we don’t care just do it more.
If you’re not sure where to start our Osteopaths are here to help. Book today.
Move better, Feel Better, Be Better
Finally if you’re feeling generous Matt’s MoSpace link is below. As you can see the “stache” is going beautifully.